Commonwealth Shakespeare Company seeks an experienced movement instructor for its summer 2017 Apprentice Program, running June 11-Aug 7. The Apprentice Program is an eight week intensive training program for undergraduate and pre-professional actors who are actively pursuing a career in theater, with an emphasis on Shakespearean performance.
CSC is open to considering instructors with diverse backgrounds in movement. The particular “movement lens” is less important than the instructor’s ability to relate the work to performing Shakespeare’s texts.
- The Movement Instructor will lead two class sections of 12-16 actors for a total of 40 hours over the course of the eight week program (20 hours per section). Scheduling of these classes will depend upon the program’s overall schedule. Some flexibility is possible though open availability is a plus.
- Apprentice actors will come to the program with widely varying levels of experience and training backgrounds.
- The Movement Instructor will collaborate with the rest of the Program faculty (voice and text teachers) to provide consistent and cohesive training in line with the Program’s goals. To this end, the instructor will be required to attend some pre-Program planning meetings.
- The Movement Instructor will participate with the faculty team in periodic individual review sessions for each Apprentice to offer critical feedback on their progress during the summer.
- The Movement Instructor will collaborate with two Directors of the Apprentice Showcase Productions (two touring Shakespeare plays- titles TBA) to direct short movement segments (approximately 5-7 minutes) for each show. This direction will be incorporated into movement class time though some additional hours in the rehearsal hall for review may be required.
- 3+ years of teaching at a college or parallel level
- 3+ years of professional theater choreography or movement director experience
- Undergraduate degree a must and advanced study in movement and theater preferred
- The 2017 Apprentice Program will take place at Babson College in Wellesley, MA where CSC is the theater in residence. There is very limited public transportation to Wellesley and a car or other reliable transportation is a must.
Compensation: This is a paid, temporary position.
To Apply: Please send a cover-letter that addresses your perspective on movement training for actors and how it relates to classical text specifically as well as a statement of your personal educational philosophy. Please include a resume and two references. We will gladly accept any supplementary video materials that show your work as movement director and/or choreographer. Materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the headline “Movement Instructor”. No phone calls please.