Boston Dance Alliance (BDA), the award-winning arts service nonprofit that serves the regional dance community and represents all genres of dance and dance artists located “from Kittery, Maine to the Cape,” seeks an Interim Executive Director.
In this contract position you will:
- Ensure robust program service to the dance community continues without interruption;
- Maintain BDA operations;
- Safeguard BDA’s financial health by overseeing income-generating programs; and
- Proactively communicate organizational strength and continuity during the interim period.You will work with and receive support from an engaged, active Board dedicated to leading BDA into an exciting future. Staff includes a committed, community-minded Operations and Membership Associate, and a contract bookkeeper with key insights and unique knowledge of the finances. Both are partners to the interim Executive Director.
The ideal candidate has familiarity with the Massachusetts cultural sector, enthusiasm for dance and the performing arts, a demonstrated ability to sustain relationships with diverse communities, and a knack for managing operational functions.
Start date: Immediate, for 6 months, while board works on organizational strategy and a search for permanent Executive Director.
Salary: Negotiable, based on $70-80/hour, with range of 10-15 hours per week.
Location/Schedule: Virtual; Flexible hours, some nights and weekends associated with Board meetings and events throughout duration of the contract.
SPECIFIC WORK ITEMS
Operations & Finance
- Administer fiscal sponsorship program (50+ independent artists/projects): Onboard new sponsees; coordinate donations and disbursements including contact with grantors and donors; ensure and safeguard digital and other documents including award letters and donations with BDA Bookkeeper.
- Administer rental program of BDA’s portable dance floor: Manage relationships with production crew, floor technicians and venues. Work with board members on future maintenance and other related business.
- Manage and oversee BDA budget: including monitoring of income and outflow.
- Manage part-time and contract staff and other contractors as required.
- Oversee grants calendar: Ensure grants, reports and other requirements are completed andsubmitted on time; work with board members on identification and completion of grants.
- Proofread and light editing of weekly newsletter: Manage ongoing process andimprovement with staff.
- Identify and forward ideas for incremental improvement: of tasks, programs and other BDAbusiness.
Program Management & Community Involvement
- High-level community representation of BDA (with board members as appropriate): at community events; in Zoom conversations; during project consultations; and more.
- Oversight of ongoing BDA programming: including Boston Dancemakers’ Residency, and Dance and Disabilities program, both of which are administered externally this year; address program questions/concerns in conjunction with staff/consultants and board members.Fundraising
- Execute end-of-year appeal: Create content and manage year-end fundraising campaign beginning with Giving Tuesday; includes social media, eBlasts, letter template for Board, etc.
- Support fundraising events that occur during contract period.
Beyond work listed above, BDA board may also solicit support for other projects or work items. As an example, board may contract support for opportunity research with new individuals or institutional resources, major gift opportunities or fundraising campaigns related to purchase of new dance floor.
Boston Dance Alliance is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace, and dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices. We have, and have demonstrated, commitment to providing access and accommodation for individuals with disabilities in leadership, membership, employment, services, programs and activities. To find out more about our commitments, and to request any reasonable accommodations to participate in our job application or interview process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please send a full resume and cover note by October 31, 2023 to John Michael Kennedy, BDA Board Chair, at email@example.com.