Project HIP-HOP (PHH) uses hip hop culture to engage young people around soclal justice issues and to help them to create art that speaks about what they want to see changed in their community. PHH’s goal is to develop young social change artists and to move hip hop culture in a more uplifting direction.
During the school day the Lead Dancer will be an instructor and teach two classes a day for Boston Public High School students. After-school the Lead Dancer will run the Flash Mob Squad, an after-school dance team for 12-15 youth who meet 3 times a week. During the summer the position will be part of Project HIP-HOP’s Summer Leadership Institute again teaching hip hop dance to young people.
School Day Program – Hip Hop Dance Instructor
· Develop a semester long dance curriculum for high school students at Community Academy of Science and Health which will be repeated twice during the school year.
· Teach hip hop dance class for two periods a day 4 days a week
· Attend weekly social justice sessions
· Lead youth in end-of-semester performances and provide final grades to students
After-School Program – Flash Mob Squad
Overall Team Leadership, Support & Recruitment
● Facilitate most Flash Mob Squad Sessions and attend all sessions
● Work with youth artists or outside artists to set agendas for any sessions that they will be leading
● Check-in with individual youth artists to ensure that they know the dates, locations and other key details about all meetings, trainings, rehearsals, events and performances
● Twice a year a year distribute applications, collect finished applications, follow up with potential candidates, and work with youth leaders to select candidates
Arts Training & Production
● Coordinate the creation of all artistic works by The Flash Mob Squad and ensure that artistic work is in line with Project HIP-HOP’s social justice values
● Set the training curriculum for the FMS to ensure that it meets the needs of individual youth, the group as a whole and the necessary elements for their performances
● Oversee the work of other artists who offer workshops or master classes to the Squad
● Oversee and attend all group performances, maintaining contact with the necessary people to ensuring that youth are aware of the details and have the things that they need to perform
Evaluation, Data & Reporting
● On a quarterly basis oversee the artistic evaluations of each member of the Flash Mob Squad
● Help youth to set goals at the completion of their evaluation
● Enter evaluation data into the PHH database and prepare reports as needed for internal use with other staff, youth leaders and board and for external use with supporters and funders
Finance & Fundraising
● Submit budget requests to Executive Director and monitor spending to remain within allotted funds
● Attend PHH Annual Fundraising event and other fundraising events as needed
Summer Leadership Training
· Lead youth in dance training as part of their summer experience.
· Support with other portions of the training as needed
· Participate in Annual Summer Civil Rights Tour in August